Monday, October 5, 2009

we want answers

In an effort to promote transparency and accountability within the Campbell Administration I have posted some answers to the a29 wife questionnaire. In an effort to promote blog reader interaction, I'd like for ya'll to answer some questions as well. I'll save them for another post. For now, my life is a partially opened book.


4) Please describe how your husband has led you spiritually and contributed to your growth in your history together.

Dr. Tony Evans once said that, "Biblical submission is ducking so that God can hit your husband in the face." Mark takes most of the blows for our family. It seems fair to say that his success in leading is intertwined with my success in following. We are both imperfect! I do feel that overall, spiritually speaking, Mark does lead me. He regularly spends with the Lord in prayer and in reading and meditation on the Word. He fasts and seeks to hear from the Lord for direction for me and our family. He is actively involved in Biblical community and desires us to be in community together. He leads our family in terms of financial giving, and in stewarding our time in service to our church and city. He takes the initiative to pray with me regularly. He is enthusiastic about what God is teaching me, open to listen, and is always encouraging over spiritual matters. Mark has been vitally instrumental in helping me to discover and use my spiritual gifts.


5) Describe how your husband has functioned as head of the home, and how he has taken responsibility to teach, train, and pastor your children.

I am confident that Mark feels the weight of what it means to be the head of our home. Second only to Christ, Mark is the one Grace, John and I look to for physical protection, financial provision and life direction. He assumes the exclusive role of providing for our financial needs. He supports our mutual desire for me to stay home with our children. I feel confident that Mark is aware that all areas of his life bear influence on ours. From his prayer life to his eating habits, from his willingness to throw a football or color a princess picture, I feel that he is aware that his children are watching, listening, and learning from him. Mark prays with and for our children regularly. He demonstrates enthusiasm for the body of Christ and a life spent for the glory of God. His love for Jesus is as evident at home as it is at church.

6) Please tell us what you believe your husband’s primary spiritual gifts are, and why you believe your husband would be a good pastor.

Mark is a gifted communicator. I believe that the Holy Spirit is most conspicuous in him as he preaches God's Word both corporately and interpersonally. This is confirmed to me by an inner resonance of the Spirit and also consistently, over years, from others in the body of Christ. Mark exudes a genuine love for people. He has a zeal for the health and growth of the local church. Our current elder and pastoral team has also commended Mark to the work of preacher, teacher and pastor.

7) Are you convinced of the call on your husband to plant a church? Describe how you came to agree on a call to church planting?

Simply, yes. I cannot imagine my husband doing anything other than serving God vocationally. I am convinced of his call to full time ministry, first. Secondly, I am confident that he has a good general grasp on church planting given our experience at Portico. As far as the specifics of this plant to Northern Virginia, I feel that God has graciously confirmed Mark's call to me. One Sunday morning, as I stepped onto the platform to help lead worship, I feel God spoke to me. In my heart, out of nowhere, I sensed that, "it is o.k. for you to leave." This word landed on me with peace and joy despite never having entertained the possibility of us leaving Charlottesville. Later that same Sunday, Mark happened to meet with our lead pastor Chris. Chris pitched out the option to Mark of us leaving to plant another church for the first time. When Mark came to me with the idea to plant, I knew in my heart that God was speaking. I feel that the moment at church was a gift from God to me. I would follow Mark without that unique confirmation, but it has been a comfort and sense of security to me that God is indeed in this.

I will say that I have told people that "someone would have to pay me to move back to Northern Virginia." It is not my first choice as a place I would like to live. I have come to love and enjoy life here in Charlottesville. Leaving our present church, friends and community will be difficult for me. Being raised a military brat, I've grown accustomed to being told where we are moving next. That is helpful in the sense that I am used to packing up, moving, and making new friends quickly. It is not helpful in the sense that something in me still longs to put down roots in a place. Mark knows all of this and I'm sure together we will continue to wrestle with some of those emotions.

8) Describe a time when the demands of ministry put strain on your marriage or family life and how you as couple dealt with it.

It seems fair to say that by nature, balancing marriage, family life and ministry is ongoing. In an effort to walk the tightrope we have had much success with a module system. One day is broken up into three modules, morning, afternoon, and evening. Mark takes 7-10 modules off a week. Three of those should be consecutive for a sabbath. The modules change week to week based on that weeks obligations be they ministry, marriage or family. Communication is the main challenge for us in implementing the module system. When we do communicate, it works really well.

3 comments:

Heather and Scott said...

You are a really good writer, Jaime! I don't know if I could have worded everything as well as you did. And I like the module system - I should see if Scott would agree to that one :)

mallory said...

Great answers! Thanks for letting us read some of them. It was probably fun to process those ideas and put them on paper, I bet it will be nice to look back on those down the road!

Haley said...

very impressive, Jaime. You're so good! Sounds like a pretty sweet husband you have;)