
June 20th, Friday, Mark and I drove down to D.C. to have dinner with my kindred spirit friend, Sarah and her husband. It was a bittersweet evening. We were so honored that they would spend their last Friday night in the US with us (little us). They would depart on that upcoming Monday for Africa where Sarah's husband will serve as a US diplomat. We went to Caryle Grand Cafe in Shirlington (amazing). I ordered a mojito and short stack salmon filet on mixed greens. The food was amazing as always. We laughed and talked for hours, and finally left after midnight. I watched Sarah walk off with her ambitious friend, husband, teammate, and I walked to the car with mine and proceeded to cry the whole way home. There is something about goodbyes for me. I guess as a military brat, I know that goodbyes are not always forever, but they are very real. Sarah isn't going to be there to drive down for a weekend and help me pick paint colors. I can't go to her shop in Lexigton anymore to see her latest soap finds. I won't watch fireworks at VMI anymore. I won't have a glass of wine in her hip city condo anymore. I can't send flowers to H&M Georgetown anymore. At Sarah's rehearsal dinner I balled when it was my turn to say why I loved her so much. All of us girls did. It's that Anne of Green Gables kindred spirit thing, thats all there is to it. I can't believe she is in Africa right now- complete with maid, cook, and driver. I miss her so, already. I love the picture above taken with her mom (can't you tell?) on her wedding day of course. It was such a beautiful day. I was 6 weeks pregnant with Gracie at her wedding and nobody knew it. I did 7 updos, 7 makeup applications, and 9 french mani-pedis that day, including my own. She looked beautiful, if I do say so myself.
I'm hoping we can do a Bible Study across the miles once she gets settled into her new reality. Wouldn't that be incredible?
Lord,
Would you guard Sarah in every imaginable way while she is in Africa. Would you lead her, guide her, and sustain her. I give you praise for the artist that she is, and the beauty in her heart. Give her peace beyond comparison and strengthen her from the inside out. Get glory, Lord!
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment