Wednesday, May 20, 2009

don't say no

Nothing makes me angrier than when Grace says NO to me. Something inside the mommy mind snaps and I am motivated to bee line for the wooden spoon. Just a bit ago, we were outside and Grace wanted to talk to our neighbor. I could tell the neighbor was busy unloading groceries and that it wasn't a good time to linger and chat. I gave the command.

"Grace, come here right now."

"NO!"

Oh noooo you didn't, girlfriend! I can't even explain how awkward and stressful it was to put Grace over my knee kicking and flailing and try to calmly and sternly administer a strong and swift swat to her behind with the wooden spoon. I wanted it to hurt. Nothing gets to me like an outright refusal to obey. After the spanking she was made to tell me why she got spanked. She knew exactly what she did. She cried for maybe 2 minutes and then, I'm not kidding, fell asleep upright on the couch. Exhaustion is not conducive to obedience as it turns out. Regardless, she disobeyed me, and needed a good spanking. Whew.

So then the Lord warned me... Don't you, ever, ever, say NO to me. Don't think that you can look me in the face and shout NO over something I have asked you to do. You will get the wooden spoon. I have wisdom and insight that you do not. You think you know best, but you don't. You are a child. Things will always go bad for you if you shout NO. Don't think for a minute that I will withhold my discipline. Listen to my command, and do what I say.

May it be so, Lord. Help my heart trust You and may I never say NO to You.

2 comments:

Dana {Sew Thrifty} said...

That's awesome Jaime. I love it when people can relate real-life experiences to God and His characteristics. I'm not very good at that, so I love hearing when others have stories.

mallory said...

Amen. I'm not gonna lie, the visual of you administering a spanking with your 9 month preggo belly gave me a good chuckle.