Thursday, October 16, 2008

a snipet




My mom sends random clippings of randomness. There is usually an accompanying sticky note with some cryptic message directing me to really read the enclosed. I can so see her at the kitchen table trimming the thing from the Post. Coffee grown cold. Sometimes the call to read on the sticky is underlined. It's like she already knows that I'm liable to immediately toss the whole thing. Is anyone else's mother like this? Today I received a same such clipping with corresponding sticky. It was actually a heart wrenching article about women dieing in Africa in child-birth. Just the clipping intended for a daughter come from the throws of infertility struggles, evidently. I got over that rather quickly, believe it or not. I suppose the underlying moral message intended was that I should be grateful. It could be worse. Of course, in typical fashion, the sticky had some reference to my sweet friend who is living in Abuja, Nigeria. Mom thought, of course, that the area named in the clipping was the same area that my friend lives in. "Am I remembering correctly that this is where your friend is?" No mom. No. Thanks for the clipping. I've recieved all manner of topics. From heirloom tomato farming to look-alike relatives to random girls I don't know winning pageants to any imaginable global tragedy or freak-show health condition. I wonder how certain things get through the filter.

I would like to put the disclaimer that my heart has not grown cold to issues in Africa. According to the statistics, 1 in 8 women die in childbirth. Us girls like to laugh at mom's ways, but certainly the issues in the clipping were no laughing matter. It is truly unfathomable that women die from complications that could be easily treated. God's heart must break over the hypocrisy of our lavish lifestyles and unaffected prayer lives. May it not be, Lord.

Now it's my ginger tea that has grown cold, and hubs has gone to bed. The contacts are beginning to feel like saran and I'm beginning to regret the chocolate butter sauce that was consumed just prior to the roast tonight. The political roast, I mean. Was anyone else in awe of Katie Couric's gorgeous necklace? McCain was brilliant. Why can't he pull it off in a stinkin' debate! Pain.

Alright, time to go before the throne. Anybody else in need of some grace? Thank you, Jesus.

3 comments:

Hotlanta Hausfrau said...

Me thinks a bit HARSH on Mutar's way of showing you she was thinking about you? Bitter Betty? ;(

Angi said...

My mom pulled out the "it could have been worse" whip yesterday. My husband walked in the room before I could respond, God's mercy no doubt.

mallory said...

Well, on the bright side, at least you get some real mail. Mail that isn't a bill or some credit card that you didn't ask for. I always enjoy mail from someone, even if it is a random heirloom tomato clipping!