Thursday, August 21, 2008

me, myself, and I

I wrote this little poem today. Mark is prepping for his sermon this weekend. The title is "the I in community" and it is all about our selfish approach toward community in church. We have all found ourselves in this poem at one time or another. Remember... this is a poem and hyperbole. I want to be sure that I give credit to Hotlantahaus frau for her brilliant phrasing "triune me". GET BLOGGING HAUS FRAU!!

Me Myself and I
The three of us together have fellowship with one another.
A trifecta of perfection,
That’s what I see when I behold
The Triune Me

What’s that you say? There are people to meet?
What night is that?
Sorry, that really doesn’t suit me.
I must protect my precious time and schedule.
Afterall, my kids do come first,
So another night out doesn’t fit into my timetable.
But while I have your attention, would you mind offering me an ear?
I have some suggestions, which you really ought to hear.
I think you should offer programming that would meet more of my needs.
I’d like them to happen when and where I say so, please.

See, me, myself and I know best.
We prefer to operate independent from the rest.
But, as for you, please don’t neglect
The Biblical mandates which you ought to respect.
If I’m in trouble, you should come to my aid.
I have prayer requests that need to be prayed!
If I’m in a rough patch, I’d like to discover
that you have coordinated meals, which people will deliver.
Because, after all, this church isn’t healthy until I feel served.
I need to be fed, helped, and heard.

While you do all that, I’ll be faithful to introspection
It’s a character quality for which I strive!
My alone time is my priority, and I think that’s wise.
This is just a season I’m in right now; it’s a special time.
I need time to think and reflect on me, myself, and I.

Don’t worry I’ll still come to church.
With that, I hold no reservations.
I surely wouldn’t want to hurt my public reputation.
And you know what?
I feel church attendance is already asking a lot.
There are plenty of things I’d like to do on Sundays
that sacrificially I do not.

Just so you know,
I realize what a loss not having me is to this organization.
But, don’t worry-
others will “know and be known” within this congregation.
What I don’t do shouldn’t affect you.
If community is your thing, well then good for you!
Right now, in my life, it really isn’t working for me.
I have issues that I’m dealing with that you don’t need to see.

I’m walking in sin, so you claim!!
You should listen up!
I have something profound to say.
If I’m the one walking in sin, it’s a good indication, that you really haven’t invested much in my sanctification.

Ugh
I’m really having trouble connecting with ya’ll.
I think I’d be better off doin’ my own thing after all.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking a lot about me.
And, honestly…
I’m afraid you aren’t mature enough to handle the real me.
There may be darkness still left in my soul, and I shouldn’t burden you with knowing any of that, you know?

So, I’ll just keep it all private, appropriately remain quiet.
I’m sure I can manage it all if I try.
After all, I’m not alone.
I’ve got me, myself and I.

Cheers to community, ya'll,

James

4 comments:

diane boucher said...

absolutely brilliant jaime! Well said! That is a keeper! love you! diane

Megan said...

Holy Moly. That's not just "a little poem." Please tell me that Mark will read "an annonmous poem" on Sunday. Such passion.

mallory said...

The Triune Me indeed! Love that..good one Haus Frau! I like this sassy little number, you should exercise your writing skillz more often.

P.S. Hotlanta Haus Frau...you really need to get blogging or Jaime and I will have to start writing a eulogy for your blog...don't make us beg.

Hotlanta Hausfrau said...

Good Job Bug! Your clever wit has made the truth more palatable- even delicious I dare say. "We" know some folks to pass the plate on this one... golly it's getting crowded at the foot of the cross isn't it?

~ The Trifecta Perfecta Hausfrau

Props appreciated but unnecessary- I'll suffice to haunt you with ghost writing 'till I get all up in your Blogospace. BOO!