Even so hypocrites find their trust and hope within themselves; their anchor was forged on their own anvil, and their cable twisted by their own hands. They lay their own foundation, and hew out the pillars of their own house, disdaining to be debtors to the sovereign grace of God. But a spider's web is very frail. It is curiously wrought, but not enduringly manufactured. It is no match for the servant's broom, or the traveller's staff. The hypocrite needs no battery of Armstrongs to blow his hope to pieces, a mere puff of wind will do it. Hypocritical cobwebs will soon come down when the besom of destruction begins its purifying work. Spurgeon
I'm wondering who else out there has experienced a "mere puff of wind" to the cobwebs of their own Pharisaical ways. The gospel, praise His name, does that on the life. PUFF! May I always sink my roots deep into THE pillar, the rock of God, Jesus Christ. We must never get over being debtors to the sovereign grace of God. His saving is more real and secure than any emotion of mine, and effort of will, any achievement or ambition. His grace reigns and rules over my sin. Forgiveness belongs to our God.
I am so very thankful for the puffs, the besom of destruction in my life. God is faithful to place, remove, sand off from us that which is necessary for our enjoyment of Him. How could we know His comfort if never grieved? How would we cherish His mending, if never broken? How would we realize the expanse of our self-reliance if not for the great waves and storms of life? I do not begrudge the purifying work of God. His ways are always right. If I gain Christ, I've gained it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment