Thursday, August 13, 2009

trying to...

I've been wanting to write a post or two about "trying" to have a baby. This is a sensitive topic in general, and it certainly is for many of my friends right now. I found it interesting that if you type "trying" into the search engine of google the first words that follow are "to conceive" and "to get pregnant." Not surprised. So here are some categories to consider. Couples, I think, will find themselves in one of these life stages.

A. The thought of conceiving terrifies them for various reasons.
B. They don't have children yet, want them, and wonder when the right time is to start trying.
C. They want to have children and for countless reasons are unable to.
D. They have a child or children and are debating the prospect of another.
E. They are indifferent on the issue.
F. They are perfectly content wherever it is they are at.

Mark and I have found ourselves in each one of those categories at one time or another. I can refer back to specific conversations, and circumstances surrounding those times. I realize how all consuming and difficult this issue can be. So many factors, so many emotions, so much hangs in the balance or imbalance for that matter. These are the times me and my girlfriends are in. Right now, in a lighthearted way, I'm actually in each category except B. I think that makes me a poor candidate for making sense of the madness. No matter. This is my blog after all.

I'm not sure where to go with this tonight. I don't have time for a comprehensive evaluation. I just thought I'd pitch it out there into the great wide blog-o-sphere and see where it lands. More to come.

2 comments:

Megan said...

R.I.
I look forward to future thoughts on this. :)

Dana {Sew Thrifty} said...

I find it interesting that people don't want to talk about this issue. Yes, I understand it's personal, but so are the issues of a struggling marriage, desire to be married, addictions, or anything else that is like a white elephant in the room. Maybe I'm the only one who wants to talk it to death, but it sure does make me feel better when I find outlets who are willing to listen or who have experienced similar situations. I do wonder though, how can those who do struggle or are in category C explain to those that have never been in that position how to understand them. I think everyone is different and should be treated the way they desire, but oftentimes people don't know how to help or deal with them. All that to say, I'm definitely in categories C, E, and F. :) God is awesome and it's incredible to know that He is there regardless of what category you're in.