
I read recently that in order to write about life you have to live it. I like that, I suppose. I know what is meant by it anyway. When I was in fifth grade, our teacher told us that our writing would be best if we wrote about something we knew, something that was familiar to us. At the time, the Anne of Green Gables series was my reverie. I caught the kindred spirit and all I could think to write about was The Lake of Shinning Waters, or chicken salad at The White Sands Hotel, none of which I knew or was familiar with. It was the story I wanted to live and therefore write about. A girl, a woman, who saw beauty, yielded to it, and led others to see it and treasure it too.
Christ be praised, those of us who are saved have the unspeakable privilege of beholding Beauty. Namely, Christ Himself. The Treasure. The Beauty. The One and Only. Jesus. Every great story is but an echo of the eternal drama that is the Gospel of God. You and I don't have to wish for a better life to live and write about. The real deal is ours for the taking, ours for the living. We get to drink it in and pour it out to the last drop, just like red currant wine. It really doesn't get any better. All that is glorious, all that is richness, depth, meaning, nuance, rhythm, harmony, contrast, truth, simplicity, humility, strength, love, drama, purity, precision, perfection. King of Kings, Lord of Lords. You name it. He gets to be the great adventure of all of living. By some miracle, I get that after a day spent on the three hour nurse-a-thon schedule, WHAL-E, and heaven knows how many loads of laundry and cups of coffee. I still want to live the story, dark roots and all, don't you? Let's you and I behold Him, yield to Him, and lead others to see and savor Him as well.
If all that seems like a fail, perhaps it's time to pop in that magical series and be carried away again like the Lady of Shallot. It is good for the soul and if we let it, will stir our affections for Christ.
John 21:25
"Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books..."

4 comments:
J-what a beautiful post. I too was carried away by Anne's lust for life as a young girl, later actually getting to visit that hotel in Prince Edward Island and other key spots. What a joy. And you're right.....HE is ours for the taking...Praise.
"Tell me what you know about yourself. Well, it really isn't worth telling, Mrs. Cadbury... but if you let me tell you what I IMAGINE about myself you'd find it a lot more interesting."
Profound. Preach it kindred.
Ok, I want to rent Anne of Green Gables now. Preach it indeed!
my favorite books too. let's plan a trip to PEI.
Post a Comment