My boy is already two months old. He has outgrown all his 0-3 month outfits and rendered mommy somewhat dissatisfied with her purchase of $50 worth of polo 0-3 month one piece rompers from TJMax. I have seriously contemplated altering them into polo shirts by cutting off the bottom snap portion so that he can still wear them as shirts. Home spun? Yes. I talked myself out of it, don't worry.
Kids clothes sizing can mess with you. I have had many a moment when I really think I'm dumber. None of you are surprised. I promise it is really complex. Factors to consider:
Hand me Downs
-Do I even like this article of clothing?
-Does this color make my child look pale and sickly or adorable?
-What season/month would my child wear this and will it fit them then? I guess he'll still be that size??? Maybe he will fit into that then??
-Certain brands run smaller/larger than they are labeled. Even though this says it is 6-9months it is really 9-12, or it is 3-6. Then the corresponding seasonal analysis repeats itself in light of the virtual re-size.
- Even though I don't like this, should I keep it? Do I need this?
- The items you don't want then get washed and folded and decisions must be made as to who of your friends most needs them, would want them, and the virtual seasonal/size analysis takes place for their kid. If they don't need/want them then you reevaluate. Thoughts of yard sales and craig's list and ebay then run through your brain until you have waisted time thinking and/or blogging about it. Clothes pile up in your closet.
New Items
- Is this worth the price?
- Can I afford this? Is this an investment item that could be justified to hubs?
- Does my child need this or do I just like this?
- If it is on sale and you are buying ahead of season you must do the virtual sizing exercise in your head. This is especially difficult when buying shoes.
Example. I bought a pair of See Kai Run sandals at half off from Whimsies. I love these shoes! At $40 retail I would never buy them full price, but $20 is nearly Target pricing. Right? Right??! The shoes are a size 3. The size guide in Whimsies said size three is for 6-9 months. John will be 6-9 months during the months of Nov-Feb. It is cold during those months. How "sandalish" are these anyway? Could they be worn with socks? Grace's shoe size always ran small and these look on the big size. I wonder if he would fit these for Spring, months 9-12, Feb-June? How accurate is this sizing sheet posted on the back wall of Whimsies anyway? Is that too much to spend even at $20? I'm buying them so far out and have no idea if he will be gargantuan or not. Maybe Jen Boggs would want to sell these on ebay? Are these a good color brown? His eyes are blue. Maybe I should hold out for a blue on sale shoe because I will probably be dressing him more in blue.
See what I mean? All this mental gymnastics happens while trying to regulate Grace and convince her not to touch anything in the heavenly store full of delightful items while I burn a hole into the See Kai Run shoe box. I inspect the shoe from all angles. I put it up against his tiny infant foot and try to imagine how big his feet might grow. I put the box down. I pick it back up. I buy the shoes/sandals. I consider returning them.
INSANITY!!!
Should I keep these?? What do YOU think??

5 comments:
Those are so stinkin' precious! In the end money doesn't matter, we can't take it with us, so why not bless your child with some shoes that may or may not resemble the type of strapy shoes that Jesus may have worn in? Rational?
Mental gymnastics...such a perfect way to describe what occurs in one's head when trying to determine whether or not to purchase something for their baby. Brilliant! Those shoes are sweet.
J - as a faithful blog stalker and in answer to your 3 posts back posting, your blog is never lacking. It is perfect for late night laughter and musings. On to the shoes - little feet need proper protection, so I do believe your $20 shoes were warented! I recently discovered a Cobbler Mommy here in Asheville who makes the most BEAUTIFUL shoes - you basically bring over your outfit, or email her a pic, and she'll design custom shoes in any size for only $30. And of course, equally important, you can then consign these custom shoes for at least $20. You simply must make the next Munckin Market in Feb a priority visit! i just found delightfulness such as baby burberry, catamimi, baby lulu, etc. for all b/w $6-$9/piece. Yehaw. Check out the shoe lady: http://lilygiggle.com/
I fear you are cloaked with idolatry to "designer" footwear. Admit it- those shoes look NO different than most brown sandals at Marshalls for 10$ Split the difference, get a Sbux venti and dismount from the cranial pommel horse. Enjoy the moment and stop fretting away time planning what size his feet will be before he can even walk! ;)
KEEP. AND: pair with blonde daughter and perfect half ponytailed-mom. perfect trio.
Post a Comment