Thursday, July 9, 2009

the lovable wife revisited

So, Mark never got around to providing me with his "list" of characteristics that make for an easy to love wife. No matter....

Has anyone else noticed that trying to be a more lovable wife made you no more lovable? I sure did. I felt certain that the Holy Spirit was prompting me to ask myself if I was easy to love. However, upon concluding that at times I am NOT easy to love I set out to make the change.

FAIL.

The easy to love wife is one who isn't trying to make herself lovable. Though she may succeed for a season she will undoubtedly slip back into the autopilot of disrespect or end up boasting in her self-righteousness. I'm convinced that the truly easy to love wife is one who is IN love with the One and Only, Jesus Christ. When her efforts are directed not at self-improvement, but rather, toward finding Him and abiding in Him she can trust that whatever fruit develops will be of the Spirit and bring glory to God.

Matthew 11:28-30

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hey. You are so wise.

Are you singing in the Madison County fair?

brett baker said...

This is quite profound and SO very wise!