Recently, I believe the Holy Spirit gave me a fresh perspective on Ephesians 5. For me at least, it is so easy to become preoccupied and focused on how well Mark is loving me. It is easy to ask myself, "Do I feel loved?" It seems the Lord has flipped the question around in recent days. He has me asking myself a far more difficult question.
"Am I easy to love?"
Wives, I dare you to ask yourself the same question. When I asked Mark what characterizes the lovable wife he of course said a respectful one. Thanks. That was helpful. No, really. So I asked him to come up with a list of qualities, very specific, that would make for an easy to love wife. I will post them as soon as he comes up his list. What would her attitude be? What would her actions convey? What would she talk about? What kinds of questions would she ask? What would she (gasp) look like???
In thinking of my own list I found it easier to think of what makes a wife hard to love. Here is my short portrait of the hard to love wife.
- critical
- non-affectionate or cold
- complainer
- easily offended
- unforgiving
- not actively encouraging and praising, failure to identify and articulate husbands accomplishments
- inflexible with schedule
- selfish, self-centered
O.K. blogosphere. It's your turn. I'd like your help, too. What makes a wife easy to love?? Let's give some specifics.
Ephesians 5
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
great thoughts. here's my impromptu list:
calm
strong
motivated
joyful
loves to have fun
flexible
easily amused
encouraging
builds people up
patient
servant
disciplined
has similar interests (or enjoys her husband's interests)
brags about their husband in public
loyal
trustworthy
open
honest
understanding
genuine
Talk about:
others positively
ask lots of questions in a genuine interest of others
listen well
how to help/serve others
God, Jesus, Holy Spirit
her husband's passions
now if only I could be all those things. :)
here's a cool website worth checking out too: http://www.the-generous-wife.com/
-trusts that Christ is for her and acts toward her husband out of that comfort and security
-kind in her behavior
-gentle with her words
-faithful in her actions toward him
-lifts him up in her thoughts
-asks her husband how to love him better
-actively pursues the things he says makes him feel loved
-speaks good things about him to others
-is trustworthy
-courageous in her faith
-encouraging of things that make him joyful
-able to take criticism without being crushed/able to give criticism without crushing
-at peace with her surroundings
-self-controlled in her spending of money and words
-majors on the majors and minors on the minors
-cares for the home as well as the provision
-encourages him (without belittling/condescending him or patronizing him)
I mean, if she were my wife I'd love her. ;-)
These are good things to think about. Thanks for the post.
This sparked a great conversation with Jason and I on Friday. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront of my mind. This post and Jason and I's conversation were a great way to renew of my mind... We came up with encouraging and not being one to want to argue. Those were the top two. We thought that would make a very uncomfortable household. (Congrats on your little one!)
Post a Comment