Friday, February 20, 2009

random biscuit talk

So, pregnant girl went solo to the 1:10 matinee showing of He's Just Not That Into You this past week. Yes I did. Bless our hearts, the viewing audience was so random.The ticket holders comprised four main exhibits. Exhibit A: Granie. She had to have been in her eighties. She had hair that gets done weekly at a beauty parlor. She had gotten herself some popcorn and a coke. I couldn't decide if she was darling or creepy. Exhibit B: Bob. Must have been early 50s, late forties. Alone and creepy, of course. Exhibit C: young asian couple, otherwise non-de-script. Exhibit D: pregnant girl in search of come culturally relevant material with which to contextualize her message regarding overcoming insecurity in the power of the gospel.

Moving on...

Does this sort of thing ever happen to anybody else?



Biscuit and Bagels. Pink and blue glasses. I'll have you know that I cried today (literally tears, hours after the encounter) over two sesame bagels and two biscuits being put in the oven. When I said, "I'll make US a special egg, cheese and biscuit breakfast" I assumed that my usage of the word US communicated an inclusion of my entire family of three. The statement was uttered at the onset of the day, golden light streaming in, birds singing, high intentions, pure motivations, all three of us snuggled under the covers together, right? Evidently, I was in error. Come to find out, hubs did not know what exactly was meant by the terminology US because when I came downstairs, he was eating two plain non-buttered, sesame bagels, alone, and reading Drudge. What was I doing? Making the beds upstairs of course. Absorbing the reality that the entire house was clean, sheets were all clean, and I was about to make a beautiful egg, cheese, special breakfast for my family! Visions of three round the table, each with egg sandwiches being very much delighted in, were at once dashed. I took his eating of the two bagels as a direct dismissal of wanting to engage in loving dialogue, hot coffee and delicious special breakfast biscuits. In effect, "I hear your offer for a family egg biscuit breakfast and I refuse it. I prefer a lonesome eating of non-buttered sesame and a solitary reading of Drudge thank you very much!" Hours later I learned that he thought US was meant to include just Grace and I, hence the two biscuits not three. Someone please tell me WHY I would want Grace and I to have a SPECIAL breakfast just the two of us? He, naturally, thought himself helpful and thoughtful for putting biscuits and bagels in at all. Upon discovering my hurt feelings, he felt that the problem was rooted in my inability to clearly communicate my breakfast expectations. I had a feeling it was all my fault. I apologized for failing to say, "Why don't you, me, and Grace, all three of us, sit down together, as a family, and all eat our own special egg, cheese and breakfast biscuit." Saying that might have clarified things, but I doubt the condescension would have gotten me very far. I think I may have just lost readers.

Moving on...

I bought Grace a snail today. Love it. Mortimer now has a friend!



Moving on...

Schotzie is such a fantastic family dog. Grace loves to dress her up in all manner of princess attire. Here is our beloved Kinz in her tutu. She secretly loves it, I know.


3 comments:

Megan said...

Jaime, you bring me laughter. Even though your are hilarious, I feel so bad for you and want to give you a hug....I share in your emotion of the breakfast biscuit AND you were alone in a movie theater! I hate being alone! Michael says I need to remember that not everyone hates being alone and that some actually enjoy it so I should not go and sit with every person I see sitting all by themselves. But I would sit with you anytime. Also, (as I seem to be creating my own post on your blog) I so want to talk to you about subject matter that may or may not have to do with your sermons.

Anonymous said...

i just want to make you aware that i read that whole post (even to the part where you thought you were losing readers). :D totally identify with biscuit fiasco. and also, that movie stunk. bleh. can't wait for the next portico women's event!

Dana {Sew Thrifty} said...

Hey Jaime!

Yes, let's hang out. feel free to email me at: dana.l.nowell@gmail.com

Dana