I've delayed posting due to a lack of pictures. Whatever. I'm over it.
So, I've been thinking lately about materialism. Ugh... I know, right? I told you He was being ruthless. You know the question lurks in the back of your mind. Do I have too much?? How much is too much?? If you are like me, you want to walk the fine line between delighting in what God has given you while remaining unattached to the things of this world. Maybe you want to have just enough to remain "culturally relevant" and not too much that your Christian brothers and sisters question your true affections. Things are not intrinsically evil. Treasuring gifts above the Giver is. So how much can I have and still glorify Him??
I love a clearance item. I've found myself glued to the sale racks. I've reasoned that if I don't spend outside my budget then I'm not treasuring things. The only trouble with that is...frugality does NOT equal Godliness. In fact, I think that in my attempts to save, I have dishonored God by treasuring things. It is a flat out lie that wealthy people are the only ones who struggle with materialism. You don't have to have a lot to WANT a lot. Even if "a lot" is the big bag of baby clothes you netted on Craig's List.
I want to be free. Free from things. Able to have and enjoy. Not bound to the Gymboree discount bins or proud that I never have to grace one. Free from feeling the need to justify what I have and yet confident enough in Christ to question what I have in a healthy way. So I'm questioning...and praying that my questioning and self-examination doesn't kill thankfulness.
How about you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I like to buy things in bulk. Not bulk like 78 rolls of paper towels bulk, but "I need to buy 12 of those pretty napkins from William Sonoma because one day I'll have kids and they'll have spouses and kids, and we'll sit around our large table for 12, which we don't have yet, enjoying a holiday meal with matching napkins" bulk. The reality is, my reality is, it's me, my husband, our "naval orange," and about 25 years to change my mind about the napkins. I feel guilty about my bulk obsession; I believe it is equally as unhealthy... ugh.
I've been thinking about his a lot recently too. Where do I draw the line between enough and too much? Especially in the face of the desperate poverty existing in the world.
I'm with you, sister. I am deplorably prideful when I find fabulous stuff for cheap at Goodwill. Pathetic, no?
Well, I think that frugality is godly, but the boasting of it for superiority over others is not.
I read a simple living book recently that suggested breaking things up into two categories: is it purposeful? is it beautiful? If it has no purpose nor is nice to look at, it's gone. I'm a major fan of this system.
I'm wondering if a lot of defensiveness is coming from being the stay at home mom/wife of a pastor. (An extra pressure that most of us don't have.) I.e., having to explain what you spend your husband's salary on, or feeling guilty if you spend money on yourself because it is funded from the church.
The most important aspect of my clothes is how good I feel in them! When you are around children, it's guaranteed that they will leave remnants on your favorite pair of pants or the brand new carpet by the end of the day!
Great post Jaime.
I struggled with this most greatly when we lived in CA. God did some aggressive sanctifying when we moved to DC by only allowing us to bring the bare necessities. I wondered if I would feel comfortable practicing hospitality in our home with out much furniture or any decorations. The last 9 months have reminded me that people most value friendship and character, rather than decor.
I am certainly looking forward to the day when I am reunited with the rest of our household goods, but I now appreciate those items for their functional value rather than their status value.
oh lady - yes, yes and yes.
Post a Comment